[NatureNS] Weather/Climate Books

From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:19:19 +0000

     &lt;span style=3D"font-size:xx-small"&gt;292 Abbott&
--_000_SN1PR0301MB2045E7BFE7BF4B94D4FE6C6383AF0SN1PR0301MB2045_

Alix -

I am a firm believer in first principles first, as you seem to be too. So, =
some suggestions.

The best account of the general dynamics of the Earth-oceans-atmosphere sys=
tem that I know of is in the text by Arthur N. Strahler, 1971. The Earth Sc=
iences. New York: Harper & Row, especially The first two parts (Part One de=
als with the Earth as a whole, Part Two with the atmosphere and oceans). Th=
is seems old - but then Newtonian dynamics are even older - and the princip=
les still stand. I used this in my teaching for many years because it is th=
orough and quantitative. It is out of print but should be available (perhap=
s in a later edition) on the used market (try Addall Books online). Strongl=
y recommended. I will be happy to lend you my copy if you have trouble find=
ing it.

Better than it sounds, even though rather U.S.-oriented, is Mark Monmonier,=
 1999. Air Apparent. How Meteorologists Learned to Map, Predict, and Dramat=
ize Weather. Univ. of Chicago Press. And quite useful is Bruno Voiturez & G=
uy Jacques, 2000. El Nino. Fact and Fiction. Paris: Unesco Publishing. Most=
 recent, is Vivien Gornitz, 2013. Rising Seas. Past, Present, Future. Colum=
bia University Press. This is broader than it sounds, starting with a globa=
l framework. All of these can lead into the recent literature, much of it a=
vailable or at least referred to online. And you might find parts of this u=
seful, esp. Ch. 4, Birding and Weather and included references: Derek Lovit=
ch. 2012. How to Be a Better Birder. Princeton Univ. Press. There is a very=
 larger recent book, journal and online treatment of the NAO, El Nino, the =
decadal oscillations, etc. that is almost overwhelming. The sky seems to be=
 the limit there (sorry!).

It's an easy step, but not one that you asked about, into a lost of recent =
work on climate change, including first principles, some of it very good (f=
or a Canadian context, see Andrew Weaver, 2008. Keeping Our Cool. Canada in=
 a Warming World. Viking Canada). I won't go farther than that because it i=
s off topic.

All the best,

Eric

Eric L. Mills