[NatureNS] Finale update to the The Blake Maybank Winter Bird List (196, 148)

From: Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:12:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0101_01D17335.EDE87330

We had one more species added to our Winter Birds List in its final day =
and obviously the DoWL as well.  It was a nice bird for the WBL and a =
doozy for the DoWL. We know that eBird is lacking in historical data =
(though it is catching up slowly), but the Red Phalarope that Angela, =
Diane, Sean and Paul had at Crescent Beach today will be eBird=E2=80=99s =
first confirmed February observation of Red Phalarope in Canada all =
time. Though Ian McLaren=E2=80=99s All the Birds notes two other NS =
February sightings in 1992 and 1999 so that will probably change as we =
get more historical data into eBird.  It is the first one reported north =
of Delaware on the east coast so far this year. Curiously, Blake =
Maybank=E2=80=99s WBL/DoWL did not have the 1999 Red Phalarope that is =
noted in All the Birds ticked on the DoWL. I=E2=80=99ll check with Ian =
on this but presumably it should be ticked for 1999.=20

=20

I hope we can have the WBL vetted some before next winter so we may lose =
some species. It is possible we could gain one or two as well. We also =
hope to adjust the rarity colours some too as some of them may have been =
fine when Blake first started the WBL but do not apply today.

=20

Actually I misstated our DoWL performance in regards to our DoWL average =
in my last post. We had met our DoWL average yesterday and so we are one =
beyond our average now

=20

Notable WBL Species This Season

American White Pelican (first time on the WBL)

Least Sandpiper (2nd time on the WBL and not since 1976)

Purple Gallinule (2nd time on the WBL)

Ruff (2nd time on the WBL)

Redwing (2nd time on the WBL)

Hermit Warbler (2nd time on the WBL)

American Golden-Plover (3rd time on the WBL)

American Redstart (3rd time on the WBL)

=20

Notable DoWL Species This Season

Redwing (1st time on the DoWL)

Bullock's Oriole (2nd time on the DoWL)

Red Phalarope (first time on the DoWL as it stands now but presumably =
this will change once I get the spreadsheet correlated with All the =
Birds)

Northern Shoveler (3rd time on the DoWL but all three have been in the =
last 10 years)

Black-legged Kittiwake (3rd time on the DoWL)

Winter Wren (3rd time on the DoWL)

=20

Missed Core Species

The following are the species we get every year (they are allowed 1 miss =
in the last 18 years) which we do not have on our WBL yet.

=20

Eastern Meadowlark (the only miss in the last 20 years so it will remain =
a core species next winter)

=20

Missed 9/10 out 10 Years Species

The following are the non-core species which have made the WBL 9 or 10 =
out of the last 10 winters which we do not have yet.

=20

Blue-winged Teal

Redhead

Gyrfalcon

House Wren

=20

=20

Missed 8 out 10 Years Species

The following are the species which have made the WBL 8 out of the last =
10 winters which we do not have yet.

=20

Carolina Wren

Black-and-white Warbler

Yellow-throated Warbler

=20

=20

=20

Winter Bird List (WBL) runs from Dec 1 =E2=80=93 to Feb 29

=20

Depth of Winter List (DoWL) is February only

=20

 <http://www.nsbirdsociety.ca/index.php/library/the-birds-of-winter> =
http://www.nsbirdsociety.ca/index.php/library/the-birds-of-winter

=20

This has been fun but I=E2=80=99m glad there is not a Spring Birds List =
to maintain! Thanks to all those who tipped me about sightings along the =
way.

=20

Keith Lowe

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0101_01D17335.EDE87330

xmlns:x=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>We had one more =
species added to our Winter Birds List in its final day and obviously =
the DoWL as well. =C2=A0It was a nice bird for the WBL and a doozy for =
the DoWL. We know that eBird is lacking in historical data (though it is =
catching up slowly), but the Red Phalarope that Angela, Diane, Sean and =
Paul had at Crescent Beach today will be eBird=E2=80=99s first confirmed =
February observation of Red Phalarope in Canada all time. Though Ian =
McLaren=E2=80=99s All the Birds notes two other NS February sightings in =
1992 and 1999 so that will probably change as we get more historical =
data into eBird. =C2=A0It is the first one reported north of Delaware on =
the east coast so far this year. Curiously, Blake Maybank=E2=80=99s =
WBL/DoWL did not have the 1999 Red Phalarope that is noted in All the =
Birds ticked on the DoWL. I=E2=80=99ll check with Ian on this but =
presumably it should be ticked for 1999. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =