[NatureNS] water and feeding hummingbirds

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:10:58 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I have found the basic glass model available at most hardware stores, ShurGain etc such as this one: http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Wild-Bird-Animal-Supplies/Feeders/Hummingbird/16oz-Super-Glass-Hummingbird-Feeder/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/No-0/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5453760?Ntt=hummingbird+feeder&Num=0
to be the best. Projecting "flowers" were shunned, odd ovate shapes were also avoided when I tried them and plastic is too light for my very windy location on a large lake. These glass feeders are sturdy, you can pour boiling water in them to sterilize them and the HBs seem to like the perches. And they are inexpensive. I have an ant trap above mine but see the above model has one built in.

I would be arrested by the HB police as I use the Koolaid like red instant nectar available at the hardware store and do not do a lot of cleaning. But it usually happens that I forget to set it in the truck box overnight and a raccoon (I think) comes along and must tip it to guzzle down every last drop of liquid. So maybe the sugar solution stays fresh despite my laziness. Fortunately the marauder never knocks it to the ground.

Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.