[NatureNS] The Taste of Black Walnut

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:49:21 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c19c43e893cfc05442b6bc4

Hi All,

Very interested in everything that has been posted!

My Mom grew up in Ontario (she's now 86) and her family's farm was in the
Niagara Peninsula, so she had a taste for black walnut. Her family
favourite was brown sugar fudge with black walnut. When she found that
there were two black walnut trees here in Port Williams and that no one
collected the nuts she was quite excited and we were sent out to collect,
husk, dry and crack the nuts for her Christmas fudge. The work was done by
the kids here because it was done by the kids in her family!

I remember washing the nuts (yes your hands will turn dark!) with a hose on
the driveway and watching the earth worms crawl out and die on the edge of
the driveway. Seems juglans is also a wormicide. My daughter has studied
natural nutrition and uses a black walnut tincture to kill intestinal
parasites.

I couple of years ago I collected very young nuts in July and made a sort
of liqueur called Nocino, it takes a few years to mature. It is originally
Italian and they keep it for five or more years before consuming. It is a
winter liqueur, sort of like a Christmas cough syrup, spicy, woodsy and
sweet. See the link:

http://the3foragers.blogspot.ca/2012/08/black-walnut-recipe-wild-spiced-nocino.html

I have some trees in my yard that I planted a few years ago, they produce
nuts and are offspring of the two trees we collected nuts from as kids. The
original two trees were planted as nuts by a Newcombe man who had visited
Ontario in the 1860's and returned to Port Williams with some walnuts.
When you plant Black Walnut, take the husk off, plant the nuts in the fall
before freeze up, and they will sprout the next spring. If you plant the
nuts with the husks on they will take a couple of years to sprout. I have
some walnut nuts here in the yard if anyone wants to come and get them.
Also some Butternut, they produce at a younger age than the Black Walnut.

Cheers, George Forsyth
Port Williams NS

On 18 December 2016 at 19:01, Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This October, I collected a few dozen black walnuts
> from two trees in Halifax. Today I cracked a few open,
> and found they tasted quite bitter.
>
> I was planning on planting a black walnut tree as a
> fruit tree, but now I have second thoughts.
>
> Is the bitter taste to be expected?
> Is there a possibility to make them more palatable?
>
> Thanks for any insight,
> Burkhard

--94eb2c19c43e893cfc05442b6bc4

) and her family&#39;s farm was in the Niagara Peninsula, so she had a tast=
e for black walnut. Her family favourite was brown sugar fudge with black w=
alnut. When she found that there were two black walnut trees here in Port W=
illiams and that no one collected the nuts she was quite excited and we wer=
e sent out to collect, husk, dry and crack the nuts for her Christmas fudge=
. The work was done by the kids here because it was done by the kids in her=
 family!=C2=A0 <br><br>I remember washing the nuts (yes your hands will tur=
wild-spiced-nocino.html">http://the3foragers.blogspot.ca/2012/08/black-waln=
#39;s and returned to Port Williams with some walnuts.=C2=A0 When you plant=
 Black Walnut, take the husk off, plant the nuts in the fall before freeze =
up, and they will sprout the next spring. If you plant the nuts with the hu=
sks on they will take a couple of years to sprout. I have some walnut nuts =
here in the yard if anyone wants to come and get them. Also some Butternut,=
 2016 at 19:01, Burkhard Plache <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bur=
khardplache@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">burkhardplache@gmail.com</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">This October, I collected a =
few dozen black walnuts<br>
from two trees in Halifax. Today I cracked a few open,<br>
and found they tasted quite bitter.<br>
I was planning on planting a black walnut tree as a<br>
fruit tree, but now I have second thoughts.<br>
Is the bitter taste to be expected?<br>
Is there a possibility to make them more palatable?<br>
Thanks for any insight,<br>
Burkhard<br>

--94eb2c19c43e893cfc05442b6bc4--