[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 13:31:50 -0400

Today has been interesting for us in that we have been visited by both a Fox
sparrow and a Woodcock! We only see them once in awhile and the last time
was during that big fallout a couple springs ago when we had many feeding
here as we had grass.

The regulars are here in varying numbers. They include Mourning Doves, not
in the thirties the past week or so but close to 20 by times, Blue Jays, a
few Starlings, numbers are climbing, must be a dozen or so now. There are
Red-winged blackbirds, male and female/junveniles. One was calling from the
swamp, another from our ash tree, the other day.
We have Juncos, Sparrows; song and white throats, Chickadees, a larger than
normal group of American Goldfinches, Nuthatches, what appears to be a pair
and a spare in the white breasteds, and a red breasted.
We have a family of big crows that are usually about the area and several
who seem to be setting a nest in a tree down the road in a big pine tree.
Maybe teaching youngsters? I don't know.
The strange small Grackle hasn't been seen since last week's wind. Steve saw
a Barred owl in our Ash tree when he returned from bowling Wednesday
evening.
We still have a solitary Robin. This may sound strange to some but could
this be a Robin who was born here, stayed several winters with us, finally
had a mate, and offspring. It went away for awhile but always would come
back early and let us know it wanted the apples set out. The behavior is so
similar it is hard to think it isn't the same bird. Even taps on the studio
window for fresh apples.
There are a number of Woodpeckers, both Downy and Hairy. I heard a flicker
in the distance but haven't seen one.

What is noticeably missing from the mix are the purple finches, both
Chipping and American tree sparrows and Grackles in general. No Sapsucker
and no Red head Woodpeckers.
My snow drops are up (very late) and wanting to bloom but they are pretty
peaked. I had a Vole (initially I thought it was a mouse but was corrected
when I posted a photo to Facebook). Last week after all the snow it dug its
way up through the snow (viewed like an ant farm) against the studio window,
to snooze in the sun atop the snow drift. Makes me very glad to see the snow
drops at all.

I know something is hunting the neighbourhood, but which I am not sure. I
see the frozen stance of the birds, all except the chickadees who will
tackle a Sharpie and confuse it. Fascinating to see.
it is chilly and breezy here but sunny at times so that is nice.
Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please