[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Veronica Horsman <veronicahorsman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:14:00 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c13cb9c701d45054a7a1ef5

Hi Marg.

A few days ago, I saw this personable little sparrow-type, in a bare flower
hedge, not too far from my apartment. The little fellow looked strange to
me as I had not seen something looking like him before. After ready your
thorough listing and looking up the Fox Sparrow, I have to conclude that
the sparrow-type that I saw and the Fox look an awful lot alike; equally
striking.

The trouble is, my apartment is right around the Commons in Halifax. Is it
possible that Fox Sparrows go in for "city life," or has anyone else seen
them around the city?

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunny weather,
Veronica

On 11 March 2017 at 13:31, Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> in the thirties the past week or so but close to 20 by times, Blue Jays, a
> few Starlings, numbers are climbing, must be a dozen or so now. There are
> Red-winged blackbirds, male and female/junveniles. One was calling from the
> swamp, another from our ash tree, the other day.
> We have Juncos, Sparrows; song and white throats, Chickadees, a larger
> than normal group of American Goldfinches, Nuthatches, what appears to be a
> pair and a spare in the white breasteds, and a red breasted.
> We have a family of big crows that are usually about the area and several
> who seem to be setting a nest in a tree down the road in a big pine tree.
> Maybe teaching youngsters? I don't know.
> The strange small Grackle hasn't been seen since last week's wind. Steve
> saw a Barred owl in our Ash tree when he returned from bowling Wednesday
> evening.
> We still have a solitary Robin. This may sound strange to some but could
> this be a Robin who was born here, stayed several winters with us, finally
> had a mate, and offspring. It went away for awhile but always would come
> back early and let us know it wanted the apples set out. The behavior is so
> similar it is hard to think it isn't the same bird. Even taps on the studio
> window for fresh apples.
> There are a number of Woodpeckers, both Downy and Hairy. I heard a flicker
> in the distance but haven't seen one.
>
> What is noticeably missing from the mix are the purple finches, both
> Chipping and American tree sparrows and Grackles in general. No Sapsucker
> and no Red head Woodpeckers.
> My snow drops are up (very late) and wanting to bloom but they are pretty
> peaked. I had a Vole (initially I thought it was a mouse but was corrected
> when I posted a photo to Facebook). Last week after all the snow it dug its
> way up through the snow (viewed like an ant farm) against the studio
> window, to snooze in the sun atop the snow drift. Makes me very glad to see
> the snow drops at all.
>
> I know something is hunting the neighbourhood, but which I am not sure. I
> see the frozen stance of the birds, all except the chickadees who will
> tackle a Sharpie and confuse it. Fascinating to see.
> it is chilly and breezy here but sunny at times so that is nice.
> Marg
>

> White Point Artist, Marg Millard
> 19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
> R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
> B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
> LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
> By Appointment, please

--94eb2c13cb9c701d45054a7a1ef5

-type, in a bare flower hedge, not too far from my apartment. The little fe=
llow looked strange to me as I had not seen something looking like him befo=
re. After ready your thorough listing and looking up the Fox Sparrow, I hav=
e to conclude that the sparrow-type that I saw and the Fox look an awful lo=
y apartment is right around the Commons in Halifax. Is it possible that Fox=
 Sparrows go in for &quot;city life,&quot; or has anyone else seen them aro=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 11 March 2017 at 13:31, Marg Millard <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">mmillard=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Today =
has been interesting for us in that we have been visited by both a Fox spar=
row and a Woodcock! We only see them once in awhile and the last time was d=
uring that big fallout a couple springs ago when we had many feeding here a=
s we had grass.<br>
The regulars are here in varying numbers. They include Mourning Doves, not =
in the thirties the past week or so but close to 20 by times, Blue Jays, a =
few Starlings, numbers are climbing, must be a dozen or so now. There are R=
ed-winged blackbirds, male and female/junveniles. One was calling from the =
swamp, another from our ash tree, the other day.<br>
We have Juncos, Sparrows; song and white throats, Chickadees, a larger than=
 normal group of American Goldfinches, Nuthatches, what appears to be a pai=
r and a spare in the white breasteds, and a red breasted.<br>
We have a family of big crows that are usually about the area and several w=
ho seem to be setting a nest in a tree down the road in a big pine tree. Ma=
ybe teaching youngsters? I don&#39;t know.<br>
The strange small Grackle hasn&#39;t been seen since last week&#39;s wind. =
Steve saw a Barred owl in our Ash tree when he returned from bowling Wednes=
day evening.<br>
We still have a solitary Robin. This may sound strange to some but could th=
is be a Robin who was born here, stayed several winters with us, finally ha=
d a mate, and offspring. It went away for awhile but always would come back=
 early and let us know it wanted the apples set out. The behavior is so sim=
ilar it is hard to think it isn&#39;t the same bird. Even taps on the studi=
o window for fresh apples.<br>
There are a number of Woodpeckers, both Downy and Hairy. I heard a flicker =
in the distance but haven&#39;t seen one.<br>
What is notic