[NatureNS] Request for help with cattail study

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Kathryn Tisshaw <ktisshaw@trentu.ca>
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 15:31:15 -0400

olor: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-vari
On 5/4/2017 2:25 PM, Patrick Kelly quoted:

> I am contacting Nature Nova Scotia because I am about to embark on a
> journey to Nova Scotia to study cattails. My thesis involves examining
> differences between fertility and habitat preferences between broadleaf
> cattail (Typha latifolia), narrow-leaved cattail (T. angustifolia), and
> their hybrid (T. x glauca) in Nova Scotia and the Great Lakes area. I
> was wondering if there have been any recent observations of the
> non-native cattail, T. angustifolia. It seems like T. angustifolia is a
> lot rarer in Nova Scotia than in Ontario, and we want to investigate
> this strange phenomenon. This will help us in understanding the
> reproduction and habitat preferences of invasive species. Please let me
> know if you know anyone who might know where the non-native cattail is
> found.

* I've also been interested in this problem, and I accumulated only
about a dozen locations for T. angustifolia in Nova Scotia from our
travels there in 2010. The same condition holds in New Brunswick, where
the uncommonness of T. angustifolia and hybrids is considered
unexceptional by local botanists - e.g. Gart Bishop
<gartali@NBNET.NB.CA> - even while it strikes those of us from Ontario
as astonishing.

Going down the St Lawrence along the TransCanada, T. angustifolia
continues to be abundant to Riviere du Loup, but once you're over the
mountains to Edmundston it's uncommon all the way to Annapolis Royal.

fred schueler
Research Curator
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
for our annual letter, click '2016' at http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156°N 75.70095°W