[NatureNS] observation and dogma

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:45:10 -0300

&gt;&gt;become more alive. Former Beave

--Boundary_(ID_unIpNES3jIMo9FkjmjuZfg)

Thank you, Wayne.  You and Chris have presented a very succinct and
practical response to the need for old growth on our landscapes.  Our
forests were once dominated in late successional species and mature to
old age classes (the timber records speak to this and other archival
documents).

Moose are forest dwellers.  Deer benefit from it for winter shelter, but
can otherwise get along without it.  There's a wealth of information on
those species.  I was too busy and too vexed to answer the exchange
earlier.  We already have plenty of forest industry advocates for
clearcutting, and we listen to a litany of inadequate justifications for
the resultant young scrubby forests that we now see everywhere
throughout NS.  I don't expect to see such comments on NatureNS.  Most
naturalists in the 40 + age category have viewed unprecedented, rampant
destruction of NS forests, and we realize the toll on wildlife,
understory flora, lichens, mosses, and fungal networks that we are only
beginning to understand.  Species that took a century, or perhaps
several, to establish and thrive; wiped out over night.  A harvest
operator telling me of flying squirrels landing on his machine at night
as they mowed down trees, some containing the cavities where shelter had
been provided.  He was chuckling when he recounted the story. I suppose
that's better than weeping, or is it?

A now out-dated line from my thesis: /"In Nova Scotia it is estimated
that 0.0008 % of the forest is old growth (Mosseler //et al.
//2003). Old growth was defined as stands in which the dominant trees
have an age of greater than 150 years (Mosseler //et al. //2003)."/

How can we possibly think, even for a single moment, that our forest
species are not suffering under such a severe lack of old growth?

Donna