[NatureNS] Ironwood/Hop Hornbeam

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 08:32:42 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a114da63e258b09055d8c006e

A tree with real character, Nancy. Axe handles. Distinctive fibrous bark
and those hop like clusters of seeds encased in green envelopes. It is
frequent on the south face of the North Mountain  in Kings especially
around that upper escarpment where it's so windy and there's erosion. It
seems also frequent around small streams and in vernal pools in that area
and I wonder whether it is dispersed after it hits ground by flotation. T &
D Nursery in New Ross is starting to  grow it and Debbie said it took a few
years to germinate. The seeds have a double dormancy as do number of plants
we call "Alleghanian". The seed needs a warm stratification  (2mo in moist
condition indoors and dark) followed by cold stratification so in nature
the seeds will remain  in the soil until they have received those
treatments in warm to cold order.

Very cool!

Nick

On Nov 7, 2017 6:29 PM, "NancyDowd" <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the first time I have ever come across an Ironwood/Hop Hornbeam
> tree (Ostrya virginians) in this area- the southernmost part of Kings Co. I
> see the Flora of NS lists it as being scattered throughout from Annapolis
> Co. to Cape Breton. Here is a poor pic of the seed cluster:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/38219092242/in/
> dateposted-public/
>
> Just posting it in case anyone keeps track of the ranges of tree species
> in NS.
>
> Nancy
> E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

--001a114da63e258b09055d8c006e

ve fibrous bark and those hop like clusters of seeds encased in green envel=
opes. It is frequent on the south face of the North Mountain=C2=A0 in Kings=
 especially around that upper escarpment where it&#39;s so windy and there&=
#39;s erosion. It seems also frequent around small streams and in vernal po=
ols in that area and I wonder whether it is dispersed after it hits ground =
by flotation. T &amp; D Nursery in New Ross is starting to=C2=A0 grow it an=
d Debbie said it took a few years to germinate. The seeds have a double dor=
mancy as do number of plants we call &quot;Alleghanian&quot;. The seed need=
s a warm stratification=C2=A0 (2mo in moist condition indoors and dark) fol=
lowed by cold stratification so in nature the seeds will remain=C2=A0 in th=
e soil until they have received those treatments in warm to cold order.<div=
lt;nancypdowd@gmail.com&gt; wro=
te:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"marg=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">This is the firs=
t time I have ever come across an Ironwood/Hop Hornbeam tree (Ostrya virgin=
ians) in this area- the southernmost part of Kings Co. I see the Flora of N=
S lists it as being scattered throughout from Annapolis Co. to Cape Breton.=
 Here is a poor pic of the seed cluster:<br>
osted-public/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.com/=
Just posting it in case anyone keeps track of the ranges of tree species in=
 NS.<br>
Nancy<br>
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.<br>

--001a114da63e258b09055d8c006e--