[NatureNS] Ironwood/Hop Hornbeam

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 08:46:29 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_WUttdHt/38WOR2uNYdIZBA)

I took some time to "paw" about in squirrel-like fashion in a
beech-dominated stand a week or so ago in Kejimkujik.  All of the nuts
had fallen.  There were small, angular beech nuts all over the ground,
now a little more challenging to find in the leaf litter, but they are
there in high numbers.  The beech have clearly over-whelmed the birds
and mammals with plenty of seed left over to make seedlings if
conditions are right.  While search for beech nuts, I also noted a
bountiful supply of papery sacs on the ground from ironwood.  The trees
were interspersed among the beech in the stand I visited.  I think we
often overlook it, but this fall, they stood out somewhat with their
clusters of papery sacs.  There were also lots of maple seed on the
ground.  I was struck by how valuable this mature hardwood stand, with
its diversity of species, must be to wildlife.  It's a bumper crop this
year.

I recommend taking some time to explore the litter layer under mature
hardwoods right now.  The mouse population should explode.

While I was there, I think I saw a chubby squirrel run by carrying a gym
bag...

Donna

On 2017-11-09 8:32 AM, Nick Hill wrote:
> A tree with real character, Nancy. Axe handles. Distinctive fibrous
> bark and those hop like clusters of seeds encased in green envelopes.
> It is frequent on the south face of the North Mountain  in Kings
> especially around that upper escarpment where it's so windy and
> there's erosion. It seems also frequent around small streams and in
> vernal pools in that area and I wonder whether it is dispersed after
> it hits ground by flotation. T & D Nursery in New Ross is starting to
> grow it and Debbie said it took a few years to germinate. The seeds
> have a double dormancy as do number of plants we call "Alleghanian".
> The seed needs a warm stratification  (2mo in moist condition indoors
> and dark) followed by cold stratification so in nature the seeds will
> remain  in the soil until they have received those treatments in warm
> to cold order.
>
> Very cool!
>
> Nick
>
> On Nov 7, 2017 6:29 PM, "NancyDowd" <nancypdowd@gmail.com
> <mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     This is the first time I have ever come across an Ironwood/Hop
>     Hornbeam tree (Ostrya virginians) in this area- the southernmost
>     part of Kings Co. I see the Flora of NS lists it as being
>     scattered throughout from Annapolis Co. to Cape Breton. Here is a
>     poor pic of the seed cluster:
>     https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/38219092242/in/dateposted-public/
>     <https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/38219092242/in/dateposted-public/>
>
>     Just posting it in case anyone keeps track of the ranges of tree
>     species in NS.
>
>     Nancy
>     E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

---

--Boundary_(ID_WUttdHt/38WOR2uNYdIZBA)

  <head>
  </head>
      beech-dominated stand a week or so ago in Kejimkujik.  All of the
      nuts had fallen.  There were small, angular beech nuts all over
      the ground, now a little more challenging to find in the leaf
      litter, but they are there in high numbers.  The beech have
      clearly over-whelmed the birds and mammals with plenty of seed
      left over to make seedlings if conditions are right.  While search
      for beech nuts, I also noted a bountiful supply of papery sacs on
      the ground from ironwood.  The trees were interspersed among the
      beech in the stand I visited.  I think we often overlook it, but
      this fall, they stood out somewhat with their clusters of papery
      sacs.  There were also lots of maple seed on the ground.  I was
      struck by how valuable this mature hardwood stand, with its
      diversity of species, must be to wildlife.  It's a bumper crop
      this year.<br>
      mature hardwoods right now.  The mouse population should explode.<br>
      carrying a gym bag...</p>
cite="mid:CAOK1_GaLW10MUM2syOU+w2fsDu41SUH9ebErcfzQsHVrZHuMJw@mail.gmail.com">
        Distinctive fibrous bark and those hop like clusters of seeds
        encased in green envelopes. It is frequent on the south face of
        the North Mountain  in Kings especially around that upper
        escarpment where it's so windy and there's erosion. It seems
        also frequent around small streams and in vernal pools in that
        area and I wonder whether it is dispersed after it hits ground
        by flotation. T &amp; D Nursery in New Ross is starting to  grow
        it and Debbie said it took a few years to germinate. The seeds
        have a double dormancy as do number of plants we call
        "Alleghanian". The seed needs a warm stratification  (2mo in
        moist condition indoors and dark) followed by cold
        stratification so in nature the seeds will remain  in the soil
        until they have received those treatments in warm to cold order.
          &lt;<a href="mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com"
            moz-do-not-send="true">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br
            type="attribution">
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">This is