[NatureNS] White Point, Queens birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:12:32 -0400

The trio is here again. The Catbird, the Mockingbird and the Red winged
Blackbird are all here. We put out some grapes and my sister donated a very
ripe cantaloupe.
At the moment the Mockingbird is quite excited by the cantaloupe! I am not
so concerned about the Red Winged Blackbird as I have had them winter here
quite successfully. They will hit the fruit as well as the seed cakes.
The Catbird is eating apples and grapes. I can't see the cantaloupe itself,
I cut it into chunks leaving the guts intact. Steve moved it up into the
grapevine but I don't see the Catbird at that location. That could be
because the Mockingbird is chasing anything that attempts for a taste
away.
Yesterday I was quite surprised to see the Juncos and Goldfinches having a
go at the chunks, until I realized it was likely the honey more than
anything and maybe the seeds. It was a good show of how gooey they can get
in the center.
I am pleased to see the Catbird is feeling more comfortable at staying in
the grapevine while Steve moves out and about. I am not sure it is a good
thing but easier to try for photos.
Other birds include: White Throat and Song Sparrows, Goldfinches, Chickadees
and Juncos, Blue Jays, a couple Starlings and a few Hairy and Downy
woodpeckers that are out in the trees, showing little to no interest in the
seed pie. This is a commercial pie as this year I haven't made my own.
Mourning doves are around but not coming in anywhere near the numbers we are
used to since we don't broadcast seed any longer. There are 9 big crows
visiting a couple times a day.
Best regards, Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please