Glossy Buckthorn was :Re[4]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 00:31:04 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;So
--f40304365e0ec6174b056b7eab38

I think this is one of the deficiencies in the way we value things. We are
not looking to science and following through logic of testable hypotheses
and reduced consequences. Rather we say how does CFIA regard
this...NCC..and we don't think these are second hand positions that may
relate to science or may relate to how things are done elsewhere or to our
fear of the exotic

There are various ecologists looking at how biological communities are put
together and they come up with assembly rules and limiting dissimilarities
of species...how dissimilar do spp need to be to find a new niche to
squeeze into the community. Whether a species comes into a new community
could be understood and every species at one stage was exotic to Nova
Scotia. The mixing up of species will continue and the only way we have of
maintaining the structure of biological communities is to maintain them and
reduce the wholesale disturbance that now throws open a community to
opportunistic species.

It isn't whether a species is ours or theirs...good or bad...it's only a
question of whether we are protecting evological processes. We have
abandoned agriculture and two ecologically valuable rosas are filling a
succession  gap. We are fortunate that these are here to repair our
disturbances.

If we doubt It, we do removal experiments to see whether things are better
if succession had waited another decade for the arrival of a slower growing
native species.

We need to look to experiment not barcodes saying alien or native.