[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 09:07:20 -0300

This last week or so things have been changing here in our yard in White
Point, Queens.
With all the concern about ill birds, we have taken stalk of the property
and since we have above average numbers of birds passing through the
grapevine we needed to make changes.
It was very hard to decide what to do in some ways. Birding through the
kitchen window has become a staple in my life, more so all the time.
So, now the Kiwi is 99% gone. The grapevine will go next.  What structure
will replace it is not settled on as yet. Protection for birds in the winter
will be part of the plan for sure. We had put thought into new feeders in
the spring, a wire mesh platform replacing the slab and rope one, Several
tube feeders that are much more resistant to the weather than a sock. The
juice bottle feeders still seem to be the most enticing but they are also
the most attractive to the squirrels who seem to feel the need to turn them
into residences. Feeders have been moved to different areas of the yard too.
Surprising to me the numbers of birds visiting doesn't seemed to have
diminished all that much. It is very interesting to see their reaction to
the changes. They keep inspecting things quite intensely after each change.
I see them discussing it. I know we aren't suppose to put human
characteristics on critters but it is as plain as the nose on my face that
is what is going on.

So the list of birds visiting over the past couple days: Chickadees,
Goldfinches, still in fairly large and steady numbers (although they do seem
to be moving out further now), Woodpeckers: Hairy and Downey, Nuthatches,
both red and white, Grackles, Red-winged blackbirds, Blue jays, Mourning
doves, a solitary Junco, Red crossbills, Catbird, Purple Finches,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Starlings and Sparrows; Song and White Throated and
one I am unsure about which is quite dark and has a long tail it continually
twitches. There are young hollering constantly from the barn tree Swallow
house and momma and poppa are extra busy. I am not seeing heads in the
portal as yet so there may be liftoff on July first once again. It does seem
to be the target date over the years.
Last evening I was very excited to see, at about 10 minutes to 7, 3
nighthawks! I was watching to see if the Swallows were hunting successfully
when I noticed these. There very well  may have been more. I thought I saw 6
one evening as we came west over the Medway River bridge on the 103 a couple
weeks ago.
We have at least 5 Chipmunks, I have no idea how many squirrels. There is a
Raccoon and family living up overhead in the barn and a fox wandered down
the driveway the other morning followed by 5 deer. Life is never boring
here.

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please