Re[2]: [NatureNS] Duckweed

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.142; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 15:35:47 +0000

ode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"&gt;&lt;blockquote cite=3D"F3F
--------=_MBE1B70FA9-580E-4047-AD10-87FAF313709F

Dear All,
     I have had my eye open this summer for some Lemna to test the gas=20
composition idea; the more soluble CO2 predominating as days shorten=20
leading to flooding of gas spaces and sinking; photosynthesis=20
predominating in spring as days lengthen leading to flooded air spaces=20
being filled by less soluble O2 and rise to the surface.
     And I was able to collect some on Sept 21 without having to wade in=20
muck of uncertain depth. So I set up a simple trial; some kept in=20
darkness, except for a few minutes daily for observation, and some kept=20
on a windowsill.
     By Sept 27 those kept in darkness showed no tendency to sink but=20
were noticeably less green than those exposed to daylight and some=20
artificial light in the evening. This leads to the conclusion that=20
flooding of intercellular gas spaces when CO2 predominates does not=20
cause sinking of Lemna.  The converse explanation that Lemna rises to=20
the surface in the spring when intercellular spaces become filled by=20
less soluble O2 is accordingly voided.
     The explanation given in the link posted by Nancy on Oct 3, 2017 is=20
consequently more sound. Starch accumulation in the fall. as=20
photosynthesis exceeds respiration at lowering temperature, leads to=20
sinking. Starch consumption, as temperature warm in the spring and new=20
buds start to grow, leads to rise to the water surface. [density of=20
starch is high; 1.5 g/cm^3]

Yt, DW, Kentville