[NatureNS] Big bang, raisin bread red shift

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:44:16 +0000

--_000_6612FDD1A35D4C56B000EEA89382A74Adalca_

Hi Dave, news to me too --I thought I understood this as a simple Doppler s=
hift phenomenon, but as the two replies indicate, not so.  This useful (?),=
 seemingly appropriate raisin bread analogy comes from:

www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/What_is_red_shift<http://www.esa.i=
nt/Our_Activities/Space_Science/What_is_red_shift>

"However, to be accurate, the red shifts observed in distant objects are no=
t exactly due to the Doppler phenomenon, but are rather a result of the exp=
ansion of the Universe.

Doppler shifts arise from the relative motion of source and observer throug=
h space, whereas astronomical redshifts are 'expansion redshifts' due to th=
e expansion of space itself.

Two objects can actually be stationary in space and still experience a red =
shift if the intervening space itself is expanding.

A convenient analogy for the expansion of the Universe is a loaf of unbaked=
 raisin bread. The raisins are at rest relative to one another in the dough=
 before it is placed in the oven. As the bread rises, it also expands, maki=
ng the space between the raisins increase.

If the raisins could see, they would observe that all the other raisins wer=
e moving away from them although they themselves were stationary within the=
 loaf. Only the dough - their 'Universe' - is expanding."

Steve

On Apr 7, 2019, at 4:13 PM, David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com<mailto:dwebst=