[NatureNS] Winter Moths

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 22:12:38 -0400

--------------A1BE7C662DB0DDF5BF8109D3

We saw dozens of Winter Moths (/Operophtera brumata/) during our
half-hour drive from Halifax to Waverley this evening. They seem to have
had a very successful year, and I always associate them with warm damp
weather around this time of year.

The ones we see flying are all males; the females are almost wingless
and just hang out waiting for a male to come along.

This species is native to Europe and the Near East, and is considered an
invasive in North America. The first introduction may have been
somewhere in NS, in the 1930s. Since then it has appeared on both
coasts, sometimes causing serious defoliation of trees.

--- Peter Payzant

--------------A1BE7C662DB0DDF5BF8109D3

  <head>

  </head>
    We saw dozens of Winter Moths (<i>Operophtera brumata</i>) during
    our half-hour drive from Halifax to Waverley this evening. They seem
    to have had a very successful year, and I always associate them with
    warm damp weather around this time of year. <br>
    The ones we see flying are all males; the females are almost
    wingless and just hang out waiting for a male to come along.<br>
    This species is native to Europe and the Near East, and is
    considered an invasive in North America. The first introduction may
    have been somewhere in NS, in the 1930s. Since then it has appeared
    on both coasts, sometimes causing serious defoliation of trees.<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>

--------------A1BE7C662DB0DDF5BF8109D3--