[NatureNS] Winter Moths

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:29:55 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000002ad77205977b9ba0

Yes here n berwick they were thick the wet warm Thursday night . But are
they being noticed away from seulement?

On Fri., Nov. 15, 2019, 10:36 p.m. Peter Payzant, <peter@payzant.net> wrote:

> We saw dozens of Winter Moths (*Operophtera brumata*) during our
> half-hour drive from Halifax to Waverley this evening. They seem to have
> had a very successful year, and I always associate them with warm damp
> weather around this time of year.
>
> The ones we see flying are all males; the females are almost wingless and
> just hang out waiting for a male to come along.
>
> This species is native to Europe and the Near East, and is considered an
> invasive in North America. The first introduction may have been somewhere
> in NS, in the 1930s. Since then it has appeared on both coasts, sometimes
> causing serious defoliation of trees.
>
> --- Peter Payzant

--0000000000002ad77205977b9ba0

night . But are they being noticed away from seulement?</div><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Nov. 15, 20=
19, 10:36 p.m. Peter Payzant, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peter@payzant.net">pete=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
    We saw dozens of Winter Moths (<i>Operophtera brumata</i>) during
    our half-hour drive from Halifax to Waverley this evening. They seem
    to have had a very successful year, and I always associate them with
    warm damp weather around this time of year. <br>
    The ones we see flying are all males; the females are almost
    wingless and just hang out waiting for a male to come along.<br>
    This species is native to Europe and the Near East, and is
    considered an invasive in North America. The first introduction may
    have been somewhere in NS, in the 1930s. Since then it has appeared
    on both coasts, sometimes causing serious defoliation of trees.<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>

--0000000000002ad77205977b9ba0--