[NatureNS] RE: Common sense and caution

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 14:16:03 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt; not need ei
Hello David and all,

I imagine our world views aren't actually too far apart.  For the good
of all in this group, I won't get into the clear cutting thing too
much except to say that it has its place in some cases.  I have
friends working in forestry and I'm actually pretty okay with forestry
done with care.   That said, I do have to comment on the Minister's
claim on clear cuts being the exception.  Those of us who have
witnessed variable retentions of 10, 20 or 30% will definitely beg to
differ.  As I read the recent story about Port Hawkesbury Paper being
in hot water for not leaving "at least 10 living or partially living
trees per hectare" or "at least one clump of no fewer than 30 trees
for each eight hectares cut" as wildlife habitat, the craziness of
this system fully struck.
What????  Did I read this correctlyg???   10 *partially living* trees?
I commented about this to a forestry worker who hangs out in our
Annapolis facebook group and didn't get much response. I suspect the
only logical response would be sheepish embarrassment.
In any case, there is cause to worry if forestry carries on "business
as usual" this season while most of us are hunkered down in our
respective homes for the next couple of months.  Who will be
monitoring to see if they are carefully checking for migratory bird
nests before they take down forests -- except for the 10 partially
living trees?    As we have seen from the Forestry Maps HPMV site,
there has been no slowing of parcels up for approval for harvest in
spite of a pandemic.  It seems that forestry in NS is a bit like the
USPS motto, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night, nor
supposedly closed sawmills, stays the slayers of the natural forest."

Bev
Round Hill