[NatureNS] The Rail Trail in Kings County

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 17:31:58 -0300

pass through some of the other=C2=A0
I must say, this is confusing.  Until I read these emails I thought it
was compliant with the new rules to run/walk on the track below the
house in Tupperville, but perhaps not.  It was clear that we are not to
drive to where we walk or exercise. Since the rail trail cuts through
our back yard, I had no qualms about using it.  I am going to assume
that I have not broken the rules.  It is wide (too wide for my liking)
so social distancing is easy.  What was frustrating was meeting some 15
ATVs today.  It detracts from the walking and listening to birds.  Some
of them did not slow down as they are supposed to do, and we were caught
in a very noisy dust bowl.  This is beside the point, however.

It will be interesting to see how much forestry takes place with mills
closed.  Bev, you raise solid points.  Thanks for that.  I worry about
the young sugar maple stand, the only intact stand for miles, on the
tract north of West Dalhousie, posted on Harvest Plans Map Viewer last
winter.  I was hoping they would not want to get in there to grind them
up for wood chips (none big enough for logs).  The reply received to my
written concerns about this publicly -owned sugar bush was devoid of any
meaningful addressing of issues I had raised.

On a nature note- we have a wood duck sitting on eggs in a nest box in
the middle of our pond.  (The pond we had dug for salamanders a few
years back is proving to be a delight for so many living things.  I
highly recommend people put in ponds devoid of fish for amphibian
life.)  Last week there were 3 eggs in the box.  The pair came in nearly
every morning, left an egg (presumably) then flew off for the day.   A
couple of days ago, we check again and she flushed from the box.
Surprise!  Incubation has evidently begun.  The thought of perhaps
seeing little wood ducks eventually free fall from that nest box to a
calling 'mama duck' is an exciting prospect.  I am memorizing her call
so I can listen for it some 25 days from now.  (Apparently average
incubation time is 32 days.)  The male generally comes in during the
early morning for a short while.  Looking splendid!

It's been nice hearing wood frogs again.  Many of them have already laid
eggs.  I don't think the yellow-spotted salamanders have moved in yet.
It looks like the temperature would be suitable tonight with rain after
midnight.  The tree swallows have already sorted out who is getting
which nest box.  We'll try to get some more boxes up in case more pairs
want to move in.  The hurricane knocked down many hollow trees, so
wildlife needs extra nest boxes this year.

Spring is here!

Donna Crossland