[NatureNS] butterflies in Kentville

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:29:11 -0300

&lt;span&gt;I observed another American Lady on Tuesday of last
--------------1C817D7D9CA68CE25EC3C5B8

Hi, Devin-

I agree, it looks pretty fresh, apart from the notch in the wing. I
usually look at the wing fringes when considering age - it's easy to see
if they have worn off.

A Canadian government
<https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Vanessa-virginiensis>publication
<https://cbif.gc.ca/eng/species-bank/butterflies-of-canada/american-lady/?id=1370403265531>
says that "it is not clear if this species is capable of overwintering
in Canada".

Another source
<https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Vanessa-virginiensis> says
that there are three to four broods in the US from May to November (all
year in the deep south) and that adults hibernate.

So it's all inconclusive. It seems too early to be a recently-emerged
migrant, and yet in too good condition to be an over-wintering adult. I
guess it will just have to remain one of those intriguing mysteries.

Thanks

--- Peter Payzant

On 2020-04-28 10:36 PM, Devin Johnstone wrote:
> Hi Peter - the first individual was difficult to tell as I couldn't
> get a photo... but the second one I did get a number of photos and the
> observation is on both eButterfly and iNat if you were interested in
> taking a look:
>
> iNaturalist - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/43794759
>
> eButterfly (I'd say they are still working out bugs in the new
> roll-out) -
> http://www.e-butterfly.org/ebapp/en/checklists/view/98150?observation_id=400092
>
> My thought is that it looks pretty fresh - with only some apparent
> damage to the left hindwing... so I'd say a recent emergence - but
> would love to hear your opinion as well!
>
> cheers,
>
> Devin J.

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Hi, Devin-<br>
    I agree, it looks pretty fresh, apart from the notch in the wing. I
    usually look at the wing fringes when considering age - it's easy to
    see if they have worn off.<br>
    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
      href="https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Vanessa-virginiensis">A
      Canadian government </a><a
href="https://cbif.gc.ca/eng/species-bank/butterflies-of-canada/american-lady/?id=1370403265531">publication</a>
    says that "it is not clear if this species is capable of
    overwintering in Canada".<br>
    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
      href="https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Vanessa-virginiensis">Another
      source</a> says that there are three to four broods in the US from
    May to November (all year in the deep south) and that adults
    hibernate. <br>
    So it's all inconclusive. It seems too early to be a
    recently-emerged migrant, and yet in too good condition to be an
    over-wintering adult. I guess it will just have to remain one of
    those intriguing mysteries.<br>
    Thanks<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:DM6PR03MB47783064A40ED3B151226EA6D8AD0@DM6PR03MB4778.namprd03.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
          couldn't get a photo... but the second one I did get a number
          of photos and the observation is on both eButterfly and iNat
          if you were interested in taking a look:</span></div>
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
            href="https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/43794759"
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
          new roll-out) - <a id="LPlnk391139"
href="http://www.e-butterfly.org/ebapp/en/checklists/view/98150?observation_id=400092"
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
        Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
          apparent damage to the left hindwing... so I'd say a recent
          emergence - but would love to hear your opinion as well!</span></div>