[NatureNS] barn swallow questions

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Andy Moir <slickdog1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 08:39:20 -0300

I have a couple of pairs of barn swallows nesting in my workshop. I'm
happy to share the space with them.  Just means covering some work areas
with plastic while they're nesting.
A couple of questions:  Right now I'm leaving the workshop door open for
them to come and go.  I'd prefer not to do that, especially during heavy
rains and windy days.  (Also, I'd like to keep the door shut to keep
cats away from the barn swallows).  What size hole would I have to cut
in the wall above the door so they can easily fly in and out when the
door is shut?
Secondly, do they feed during really windy conditions, such as what is
predicted to be coming over the next 24 hours?   Or will they just stay
inside and ride it out?
Thanks for any help.
Andy