[NatureNS] Nitrogen fixers, invasives and agriculture

From: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 19:05:17 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&g
Thanks, Dave, for sharing your thoughts.

Large areas in Nova Scotia are under annual cultivation
(grains, potatoes, rapeseed, ...) with accompanying
cycles of herbicide & pesticide application.
That means those areas are de-facto lost to nature.

If such cultivated fields were converted to permaculture,
even with a species mix including non-natives,
the outcome would likely be an increase in options
for local species.

Which exotics are save could be gleaned from history:
Trees like apple, pear, cherry, English walnut, (there are
likely more) have little tendency to take over an area.
Others, like glossy buckthorn, multiflora rose, japanese
knotweed, goutweed, garlic musard, (add more...)
are generally regarded as troublesome.

Over the last two years, I have also enjoyed Autumn Olive,
both fresh and as jam.  I am surprised that it has not been
available at farmers markets. The yield is quite large, the
harvest easy, and it ripens late in the season, after all other
local berries.
For now, it appears to be restricted to disturbed areas:
(along highways, old railway beds, and business parks.
It may have the potential to invade dunes and sand barrens,
both ecologically sensitive.

Burkhard