[NatureNS] Nitrogen fixers, invasives and agriculture

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 20:39:11 -0300

Hi Burkhard & All,

     There are many topics and sub-topics; fractile like, so I will hit
only some high spots.

     A primary objective of commercial agriculture is to grow food and
fiber at a profit.

     There is a place for permaculture no doubt  in smaller operations
where field crew and owner/managers are often the same individuals. And
Farmer's Markets are the usual outlets. Produce in these markets is
typically more expensive than similar goods at the grocery store.

     If you have say 50 acres of Strawberries and can't undercut
imports; too bad.

     Turning to exotics--Glossy Buckthorn has several merits I think. It
quickly spreads and fills in gaps after partial cutting or localized
clear cutting (provided nearby fruiting shrubs are available) and thus
captures and preserves nutrients such as Nitrogen which otherwise would
be lost to leaching. It feeds birds which account for it being spread
around and, when it forms thickets it soon flops over and dies. And if
fairly sparse it acts as a nurse crop for real trees.

     Multiflora Rose is a blessing and a curse. Even the thorned strain
is a blessing if you are a bird in late winter/early spring and the
thornless strain is an all round blessing.

     Japanese Knotweed has had a tough time with scare mongers who often
don't see it's merits. I know of patches, hemmed in by vigorous unmowed
sod, which have not increased in size in 30 years. And some patches
which have 'invaded' an eroding earth riverbank and thereby slowed and
in some cases halted the erosion. Bees and other insects would praise it
if they had a voice. It is the last good feeding station of the year. It
mostly grows at the edges of soil pits and other waste places. It get
hauled with fill when new houses are built-- 'invades' the new lawn of
said house and then gets hauled back to the original borrow pit. Recycled.

     So called invasives have conserved much soil made vulnerable to
erosion by raw earth ditches on slopes. But invasive or not, persistent
cleaning of ditches has often exposed raw soil to washing into brooks
leading to wipe out of former productive Trout Brooks.

     And, eating my words, some plants are invasive if left alone. Years
ago I read that Vinca was invasive and said not so. It is a great cover
for steep banks. But yes, it has taken over a large area of my wild lawn
where I aim for maximum diversity.

     Moths, rust, wood and invasive plants never sleep.

     I would like to try two plants of that Autumn Olive if anyone
nearby has spares.

YT, Dave W. Kentville