new wireless service - any timeline?

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:41:35 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Stephen Noel <noel@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Stephen. Thanks, getting the wireless service developed and up
and running has been difficult.

 	Your question is one that we get a lot in the office these days
and it means that we are doing a bad job of communicating how the Chebucto
Wireless service works.

 	Most people's expectation is that if they wait long enough, we
will bring Chebucto Wireless to their area. If we had a few hundred
thousand dollars to play with that might work, but the truth is that we
do not. We have not received any funding from any place and while the NS
provincial government might have millions of dollars to give Aliant and
Eastlink to bring $50/month highspeed access to places not currently
getting highspeed service, they do not have a single penny to give us to
bring $100/year highspeed access to low income residents of Halifax.

 	So here's the deal. For us to bring wireless highspeed to an area
we need three things. These three things have to come to us, we do not
have the resources to bring them to people. In other words, if you want
low cost highspeed, you're going to have to work for it.

 	1. The neighbourhood should ideally be low-rise residential, with
a central permanent location that has a clear line-of-sight view to the
top of Fenwick Place (or optionally, clear view to the roof of some
Dalhousie University building). This central location would be the
internet gateway and would provide the internet connection to the nodes in
the neighbourhood, which brings us to #2:

 	2. Nodes to distribute the signal around the neighbourhood. For
the average size low-rise residential block, three nodes should provide
coverage. For blocks with heavy foilage or other signal obstructions, more
nodes might be needed. Nodes need to be within a half-block or so of each
other and for a neighbourhood to be considered viable it will need 10-15
nodes. Node hosts pay $50 a year for their Chebucto Plus membership, $150
deposit on the equipment and the electricity the node uses, since it is
on all the time, about $46 worth of electricity a year. In other words, a
node host pays less than $100 per year to provide themselves and their
neighbours with highspeed internet.

 	3. Enough *new* Chebucto Plus users to support the service. We
estimate that 35-50 Chebucto Plus members are needed to support a
neighbourhood.

 	There are posters and brochures on our website here that can be
printed off by you which you can use to help organize your neighbourhood:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/Promo/

 	So there you have it. If your neighbourhood meets the
requirements from point #1 above, then you can start organizing your
neighbours. Get people to sign on and we can provide the connectivity
to your neighbourhood. It's up to you.