Email Settings

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:39:26 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: wayne ayre <ayre@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Wayne,

    Userhelp volunteers work from home and do not have access to the
office files or phone calls.  The office staff have been extremely
busy these last few weeks getting the system back up and running again
after the processor problem.  I'll try to answer your settings
questions below:

    Try these settings:

    The Chebucto webmail secure URL is:
                                https://webmail.chebucto.ns.ca/

    POP3 (receive mail server): pop.chebucto.ns.ca

    SMTP (send mail server): smtp.chebucto.ns.ca

    (Using Chebucto's SMTP server can only be done from a Chebucto Plus
56 K dialup connection or from our IP address range, e.g. the Chebucto
Office network.  Not all providers' SMTP servers support SSL
encryption so Chebucto users using other internet connections should
be aware they may need to turn off SSL to use their provider's SMTP
server.)

    We support SSL encrypted POP3 mail downloads and SMTP mail sending.
In Mozilla Thunderbird, this is set in Tools -> Account settings->
Server settings -> Server settings.  Use secure connection (SSL)
should be checked and Use secure authentication should NOT be checked.
Under Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP), it should be set to
Use Secure Connection -> TLS.  There is no need to put in a username
or password.

    In Outlook Express, this is set in Tools -> Accounts -> [Chebucto
mail account: name may vary] -> Properties -> Advanced, and the
checkboxes marked 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL) for
POP3 and SMTP' should be checked.  Under Properties -> Servers, Log on
using Secure Password Authentication should NOT be checked.

    Eudora users seem unable to recognize the certificate as valid
when they have SSL turned on.  The fix for this is for them to accept
the certificate.  There are instructions on the Eudora site here:

    http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2323hq.html

    We also support secure IMAP mail and the host name is
imap.chebucto.ns.ca.

    Please write to userhelp@chebucto.ca if you require further
assistance.

CCN Help