Downloading

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:05:52 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "R. Douglas " <at492@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Rob,

    Since no one else has complained about downloading problems, I will
have to presume that there is something going on with your setup.

    High speed uses a special modem and, so, it appears that, possibly,
your dial-up modem might be the problem as it is the only variable that is
different between the two downloading sessions.  Modems can, and
sometimes do, fail in this manner.  Can you get another dial-up modem to
try?

    In some terminal programs, Cyclical Redundancy Checks, that ensure
downloads by comparing destination values to sending values (to ensure
against packet loss due to internet transfer) are done during a
download.  Older programs used CRC-16 and newer programs used CRC-32.
Graphical programs have CRC set automatically, so that isn't a problem
here.

CCN Help