Chebucto Problems Persist

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:50:21 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca, office@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Sandy,

    You can access the text service through HyperTerminal (available
through your Accessories/Communications link.

    When you start HT, enter the service name: CCN, the phone number
(different from PLUS): 494-8006, userid: (whatever your login is) and
password: (this would be the mail password and not the PLUS password).  It
will give you a text login screen.  Type 'gmail' (without the quotes) to
start PINE.  It should run really fast.

    Taking a different tac, I've seen similar problems to those you are
experiencing when a person's computer is infected with malware.  You
should get SpyBot - Search and Destroy v1.6 and Ad-Aware (Free version);
Google for the exact URLs, download them and run them to scan your system
for malware and ad-ware cookies which can disrupt downloads, slow mail and
even cause your connection to drop or fail completely.  Both programs are
free (as opposed to their free to download but need to pay for versions.)
Make sure you check which ones you're downloading.

CCN Help

----------------

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Alexander E. Mackinnon wrote:

> [...]
> now.
> How should I go about it differently to access it through pine or text
> service?
>
> Problems with Chebucto continue. Opening my account today it gave me the
> blank
> page with ?done? again. I had to return and open it a second time before it
> gave me access to my mail. Last evening I worked off line in Microsoft Office
> Word 2007 and attempted to copy and paste the text in a reply e-mail.
> Initially it responded in the normal way and prepared the reply e-mail but
> would not allow me to paste in the text. (When I hit right click on the
> mouse,
> the paste function was not available. I double checked that I had properly
> copied and tried again, the same result no paste function). I closed out of
> the
> malfunctioning reply e-mail and tried the procedure again opening up a new
> reply
> e-mail. This time I was not able to make even the reply e-mail function work.
> tried to compose a new message. It refused to respond.  Everything seemed
> frozen. Despite several repeated attempts it just refused to work. I closed
> out
> of Chebucto entirely and opened up again in a new session. This time
> everything
> worked normally but a lot of time was expended dealing with the problem.
>
> It seems there is a new gremlin interfering with the normal service almost
> everyday now since the latest problem arose and the repair. The speed is not
> problem now but I am left wondering what is going to go wrong next.
>
> Sandy
>

> Quoting CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>:
>

>> Hi Sandy,
>>
>>    Tech is looking into the problem.  When problems occur, it's up to the
>> users to let us know if something is wrong so we can look into it.  There
>> was some slowness to the system and Tech did some adjustments.
>>
>>    In the meantime, have you tried accessing your email thorugh Pine and
>> the text service.  It's really fast using that format.
>>
>>    Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
>>
>> CCN Help
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Alexander E. Mackinnon wrote:
>>
>>> userhelp@chebucto.ns.ca
>>>
>>> Thank you for the repairs. I was unable to access my e-mail at all for a
>>> considerable period of time and prior to that the slow down of the
>>> machines
>>> made using e-mail extremely frustrating. I am sure you realize it is an
>>> inconvenience but with the integration of e-mail as an essential tool in
>>> our
>>> daily communication it is very important problems are resolved quickly. I
>>> value
>>> Chebucto as a community net. I like the idea it is local and largely
>>> volunteer
>>> run but I was left feeling it took a long time to realize there was a
>>> initially. There is no good time to have the system go down but it went