An overblown response

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:26:50
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: greenweb@fox.nstn.ca
Cc: Owen Hertzman <hertzman@atm.dal.ca>

Hi,
Sorry it took me a while to respond. I often don't have the quiet
time for thinking.

Owen Herzman made the comment:
>Helga questioned my integrity because I do consulting work for
>people she considers questionable.

It's not only me who considers the fossil fuel industry "questionable".
The question of funding and integrity is not something to be taken
lightly. The problem for ANYONE who at times works for industry
(and often government too), is that the perception of bias will be there.
Whether or not it exists is often beside the point. (And harsh,
non-reasoned comments on the PR on hurricane Mitch certainly
enhanced that perception.)

Owen also wrote:
>I even wrote sections of an EIA on the subject
>which raised questions about the effects of natural gas, if it were being
>used to increase overall fossil fuel consumption.  Some of those sections
>made it into the final draft and some didn't.  The point is that I'm paid
>for my honest opinion and I give it, here or there.

I would say the key point is that the company would not use any
information/advice that goes against its interests, but will use
the consultant's name to bolster its list of experts who gave advice.

We had a discussion about this with a friend in Quebec, who is a
botanist, poor as a church mouse and who was considering doing
work for one of the pipeline companies. We discouraged him.

Here at Dal and other intitutions, there are a number of people who
have been involved with consulting jobs for industry. Once one knows
this, one will always be skeptical and wonder if their advice is not
tainted by an interest in obtaining further contracts. (Of course,
some are notorious for their pro-industry views. I don't put Owen
in this category.)

Once in a while you hear in the media about scientists who were
muzzled by industry or the government, e.g. in the fishery, drug
industry, Health Protection Branch, etc. But this information
rarely comes out, so we are usually left with the 'official' position.

The same situation often happens to environmentalists - the question
of whether one should join a government/industry advisory body, etc.
Rare is the advisory body which genuinely wants the best for the
planet. It is usually the industrial/growth interests that take
precedence. So for an environmentalist to be on such a panel, all it
does is lend environmental credence to a biased report/decision.
A case like that is presently being discussed in the environmental
movement in PEI - it concerns the Farm Practices Review Board,
coming out of the pro-pesticide Right-to-Farm legislation.
Another example is the issue of Forest Certification, e.g. the Forest
Stewardship Council, where big companies like Irving want
environmental blessing.

So, Owen,  it's not personal - it's political.

Helga