[NatureNS] iBird Canada app - Hermit Thrush Angevine

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:29:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec53fed4564d9cf04a9869421

Hi,

There are indeed several apps related to nature and birding for the iPhone.
There are several versions of the iBird app that Mary mentions, but I
personally prefer the Sibley app, for visual and aural ID, mainly because I
find his illustrations helpful and more useful than iBird, and the
vocalizations are just as good, if not better. It's like having a complete
Sibley field guide in the pocket complete with calls and songs you can hear.

There are also some bird listing apps available - I just got one called My
Bird Observatons, for $2.99, and I used it on Brier Island this weekend.
It's easy to remember the rarities or "special" birds, but where this sort
of app is useful is , e.g. when submitting a list to eBird, or NS Birds,
etc., I find it easier to list common things like Crows and Herring gulls at
the time, as I tend to forget how many I have seen by later in the day.

Of course all this stuff is great as long as the electronics work, and one
could argue that a paper and pencil does the same job, but personally I have
taken to these iPhone apps (and I have many others, including Kindle, on
which I can read almost any book, Pocket Universe, which is great for the
night sky, Weather Eye, which gives me the forecast, etc. etc.). I believe
all these are also available for the Android system as well.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--bcaec53fed4564d9cf04a9869421

Hi,<br><br>There are indeed several apps related to nature and birding for =
the iPhone. There are several versions of the iBird app that Mary mentions,=
 but I personally prefer the Sibley app, for visual and aural ID, mainly be=
cause I find his illustrations helpful and more useful than iBird, and the =
vocalizations are just as good, if not better. It&#39;s like having a compl=
ete Sibley field guide in the pocket complete with calls and songs you can =
hear.<br>

 My Bird Observatons, for $2.99, and I used it on Brier Island this weekend=
. It&#39;s easy to remember the rarities or &quot;special&quot; birds, but =
where this sort of app is useful is , e.g. when submitting a list to eBird,=
 or NS Birds, etc., I find it easier to list common things like Crows and H=
erring gulls at the time, as I tend to forget how many I have seen by later=
 in the day.<br>

one could argue that a paper and pencil does the same job, but personally I=
 have taken to these iPhone apps (and I have many others, including Kindle,=
 on which I can read almost any book, Pocket Universe, which is great for t=
he night sky, Weather Eye, which gives me the forecast, etc. etc.). I belie=
ve all these are also available for the Android system as well.<br>

AM, Mary Macaulay <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marymacaulay@hotm=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex;">

Have just recently acquired an iphone and it is a wonderful tool!=A0 Photos=
 taken have the gps location built in.=A0 There is a voice recorder.=A0 And=
 now, no more need for compass and gps - I can see exactly where I am using=
 the satellite mapping tool and even drop pins down for places where I find=
 or hear interesting things.=A0 I often heard an absolutely beautiful bird =
at a spot along a path that cuts through the crown land south of Angevine.=
=A0 I was able to record it with my iphone, drop a pin on the satellite map=
,=A0and then compare=A0the call=A0to the bird songs on the iBird Canada app=
.=A0 A Hermit thrush.=A0 Further on I stepped off the path and headed strai=
ght for an area I&#39;ve been wanting to find for years that=A0 could see o=
n the google sattelite maps. With this iphone I was able to get there and c=
ross to it over the only dry path (it is an island in a marsh).=A0 What a w=
onderful new (to me) tool for naturalists!<br>

0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a><br>

--bcaec53fed4564d9cf04a9869421--