[NatureNS] Lep Photos Puddling Tiger Swallowtails

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 13:40:47 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

At 10:45 AM -0300 6/30/13, Jim Edsall wrote:
>Some studies suggest that some species take potassium from wet soil
>etc.. The males pass the potassium on to the females during mating
>and the potassium becomes part of the eggshell. The emerging larvae
>eat the eggshell getting a boost of potassium. The species that
>frequently do this feed on potassium poor plants.

I'll add to Jim's comments to say that it's not just potassium but
mineral SALTS (including sodium, nitrogen, calcium, potassium, etc.)
as a whole that are attractive to male butterflies that puddle (or
those that seek out scat, bird droppings and other sources of salts).
The reason for the behaviour is that plants as a general rule do not
contain appreciable quantities of  mineral salts. Think of butterfly
(and other herbivorous insects) puddling behaviour as being analogous
to a salt lick for cattle (or deer, or other herbivorous animals).
All animals need salt but plants provide very little so herbivorous
animals, regardless of their size, need to seek out other sources of
salt.

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-460-8343 (cell)

philschappert.com
imaginaturestudio.ca
philschappert.ca

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)