[NatureNS] question to all re a

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:40:21 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_1DCC_01D00502.34531D00

Hi Nancy & All,                                Nov 20, 2014
    Thanks for the soapbox.

    The artificial tree (Plastic), marketed with subtle skill as a green =
choice because no live tree is killed, is by a wide margin the worst =
choice. Their cost includes, oil spills, refineries, plastic factories, =
plastic fabrication and parking lots; all contributing to destruction or =
degradation of habitat where trees might otherwise grow. Artificial =
trees are also pushed as being a lesser fire hazard. And some swallow =
this line also.

    The commercial trimmed tree industry is more positive because it =
provides local employment, the land area devoted to trimmed Christmas =
Trees is relatively small, it serves a demand for trees in NS and =
elsewhere and those which are exported bring money into the province. So =
more power to them.

    I have always cut a natural Fir tree; Charlie Brown tree if you =
wish. And have always cut Fir branches for wreaths. The fate of most =
natural Fir trees (roughly 99 % of seedlings and of all lower Fir =
branches is to die without producing seed). Fir invades any canopy =
opening within flight distance of a seed source and generates especially =
dense thickets if some windbreak, such as a Spruce windfall, causes =
windblown seeds to stall. These thickets smother everything else and in =
time smother themselves.

    So cutting a natural Fir tree for Christmas is comparable to =
thinning Turnips; remove the large ones so the little ones have a =
chance. This also can give a nearby Maple, Oak, Birch, Beech, Spruce... =
a better chance and perhaps break the Fir rotation cycle of grow up =
thick, die, fall over and do it all over again. When Fir trees are well =
spaced they reach seed bearing age and, as the name suggests, are =
excellent firewood; Fir and fire are cognate.

    Moving off the record--
    And James, the idea of moving the same tree into your house in =
December and, I suppose, moving it back into the yard in Janurary does =
not sound very practical but it does sound pointless. Trees get taller =
every year if you don't top them so even if it did survive the =
physiological torture of being moved from cool to hot and back to cold =
each year, which is doubtful, it would have to be pruned heavily each =
summer to contain size and would soon come to resemble a tapered bottle =
brush with a shell of needle bearing twigs.=20
Also a root plus medium mass consistent with moving implies drip =
irrigation throughout the transpiration season which for a conifer would =
become quite tedious.
   =20
    For those in the Kentville area, including you James, who might care =
to try a Charlie Brown tree I have a good crop that flourished after the =
wind of Dec 13 (?), 2010 took over many Poplar. Powerlines and road =
edges frequently grow in before they are mowed so those who walk should =
readily find a source of natural Fir even if they don't know a woodlot =
owner.=20
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20