[NatureNS] Protected areas; ATV use-some thoughts for moose and

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 13:27:35 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D156AA.FD04BBF0

Excellent points, Bev and Donna.  I, too, am amazed at the political influe=
nce enjoyed by ATV=E2=80=99ers.  I also agree that there are more than enou=
gh trails already in existence.

This pragmatist suspects that we might be more effective if we agreed with =
the =E2=80=9Cgood guys=E2=80=9D in the ATV fraternity that the =E2=80=9Ceej=
its=E2=80=9D are a problem for all of us, and encourage them to feel an obl=
igation to help deal with the problem.  Said encouragement may be something=
 that may gain more traction with government.

Just thinking out loud.

Another possible lesson:  TREPA owns a piece of land on a lake which harbou=
rs a number of Atlantic Coastal Plains flora, including a respectable growt=
h of Plymouth gentian.   An old trail allows vehicular access to the lakesh=
ore, and gets used, despite discouraging words from us.  The shoreline is a=
lso accessible from crossing an adjacent stream.  (I know, I know, but who=
=E2=80=99s gonna stop the eejits?  This is a remote place)

Anyway, a series of concrete blocks, placed near the shore in 2007,  discou=
raged access for a little while, but things deteriorated, and by 2014, a la=
rge chunk of the shoreline was seriously chewed up.

Enter DNR and MTRI, who did a rare plant survey in the area in 2014, and we=
re appalled at the damage.  On the advice of DNR, we posted the land (one e=
xtra offence if we had trespassing), and agreed that DNR could set up camer=
as wherever they saw fit.  Said cameras caught three interlopers crossing t=
he stream and not wearing helmets, and my recollection is that the provinci=
al coffers increased by $3,600, as a result.

The incursions we had last year were much more modest.  Let=E2=80=99s see h=
ow 2016 goes, but DNR is welcome to put up those cameras on the nature rese=
rve any time they want!

My conclusion: Video cameras are a great way of deterring offenders.  We ne=
ed more of =E2=80=98em.

Maybe ATV associations would be willing to help the government pay for some=
, and be part of a team suggesting possible placement sites.  DNR can decid=
e on its own where to put them, and the rest of us don=E2=80=99t need to kn=
ow.

I suspect camera locations would need to be rotated periodically=E2=80=A6

Just thinkin=E2=80=99 and sharin=E2=80=99 =E2=80=A6