[NatureNS] White Point, Queens birds

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 16:34:25 -0400

It has been a week with a variety of birds but low numbers overall. We are
being visited regularly by: Chickadees, Sparrows; Song, White-Throateds and
American Trees, Juncos, Nuthatches; both Red and White Breasteds, American
Goldfinches, intermixed are a few Pine Siskins. Starlings, Blue Jays,
Mourning Doves and Crows. Woodpeckers include both Hairy and Downey as well
as 2 Northern Flickers.
Nice surprise yesterday as I drove over the golf course to a home with cats
I am sitting was a Yellow-breasted Chat!! It nearly crashed into my wind
shield.
At the property further into the Estates, I was very pleased to see a
Ruffled Grouse high up in a tree outside the house. Tree was likely a Poplar
but could have been a birch. They are quite thick back there. It's been
awhile since I've seen one of those.

I was watching from a window in our home, at the back, and saw something
that attracted my attention. A number of birds appeared to be either
rebuilding a nest damaged by the last rains or they were trying to tuck food
into it. or maybe harvest insects?  Suggestions welcome. Birds included
Juncos, one in particular seemed to be constructing, White Throated
Sparrows, who seemed to be bust trying to keep everyone away from it and a
chickadee who was dashing in and out. A Blue Jay blew in and decided to pull
away bits... I watched this activity for some time until I got called away.
I see with the snow atop it now, that it appears to be pretty flat so most
of the cup is gone but the basics appear to still be there. Curious, to me
at any rate. Best regards all,
Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please