[NatureNS] Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz

From: Kate Steele <katefsteele@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:09:10 -0300
To: "NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com" <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,

--001a11c398e0c9abd804f5632bd7

*Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz - Please join!*

Have you heard a squeaky-hinge song lately, or seen a flash of rust-tipped
feathers under a bright yellow eye? Although occasionally overlooked as
"just another blackbird," Rusty Blackbirds face an unfortunate and
remarkable notoriety: this species has endured a decline more severe than
that of any other once-common landbird - 85-95% in the past 40 years.

In March of 2014, the International Rusty Blackbird Working Group, in
partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Vermont Center for
Ecostudies, eBird, and many other state, federal, and local partners,
launched a *Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz* that challenges birders
to scour the landscape for Rusty Blackbirds during this species' northward
migration.The objectives are to better understand stopover sites and their
characteristics, spring migration timing, and to engage people in Rusty
Blackbird conservation.

Thirty-eight states, nine provinces, and three territories will participate
in this international effort to find Rusty Blackbirds; each region is
assigned a set of target dates during which local birders will seek this
elusive species. It's easy to participate - bird as you normally do during
your province's target dates and submit your data to eBird using the "Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz" Observation Type (from the drop down menu
under Other).

Interested in learning more about Rusty Blackbirds, or want to learn more
about your province's Blitz efforts? Use our Migration Blitz website
(*http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/
<http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/>*) to learn more about
(sometimes tricky) Rusty Blackbird identification, the factors in this
species' population decline, or get more details about Blitz data
collection and submission.

*For Nova Scotia the target dates are mid-April through mid-May*. If you
see Rusty Blackbirds outside those dates, please report them as well, of
course! It is also important to record data if you look for Rusty
Blackbirds and do not see any. For more details on collecting and reporting
data relating to this species, please see:
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/collecting-and-reporting-data/

Stay tuned - we'll be distributing more information as opening day
approaches! Also, follow us on Facebook for the most up-to-date information
about the Blitz: https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz

If you have any questions about Rusty Blackbirds, this program, or how to
submit your data through eBird.org, I would be more than happy to help.
Also, if anyone would like to share this information with other listservs,
websites, pages, etc. please feel free to do so or contact me for more
information/photos. Thanks!

Kate Steele
katefsteele@gmail.com
Provincial Coordinator for NS - Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz

--001a11c398e0c9abd804f5632bd7

Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz &ndash; Please join!</b>

lately, or seen a flash of rust-tipped feathers under a bright yellow
eye? Although occasionally overlooked as &ldquo;just another blackbird,&rdquo;
Rusty Blackbirds face an unfortunate and remarkable notoriety: this
species has endured a decline more severe than that of any other
once-common landbird &ndash; 85-95% in the past 40 years.</p>

Rusty Blackbird Working Group, in partnership with the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, the Vermont Center for Ecostudies, eBird, and many
other state, federal, and local partners, launched a <b>Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz</b> that challenges birders to scour
the landscape for Rusty Blackbirds during this species&rsquo; northward
migration.The objectives are to better understand stopover sites and their characteristics, spring migration timing, and to engage people in Rusty Blackbird conservation.<br></p>

and three territories will participate in this international effort
to find Rusty Blackbirds; each region is assigned a set of target
dates during which local birders will seek this elusive species. It&rsquo;s
easy to participate &ndash; bird as you normally do during your
province&#39;s target dates and submit your data to eBird using the
&ldquo;Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz&rdquo; Observation Type (from
the drop down menu under Other).</p>

Blackbirds, or want to learn more about your province&rsquo;s Blitz
efforts? Use our Migration Blitz website
to learn more about (sometimes tricky) Rusty Blackbird
identification, the factors in this species&#39; population decline, or
get more details about Blitz data collection and submission.

mid-April through mid-May</b>. If you see Rusty Blackbirds outside
those dates, please report them as well, of course! It is also
important to record data if you look for Rusty Blackbirds and do not
see any. For more details on collecting and reporting data relating
to this species, please see:
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/collecting-and-reporting-data/<br><br>Stay
tuned &ndash; we&rsquo;ll be distributing more information as opening day
https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz</p>